Sunday, July 19, 2009

for janice

here.a bit of an extra from what we were talking about in service. just for you.

some sort of a book review larh.

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, by Paulo Coelho

The protagonist, Pilar meets her childhood friend after about ten years of separation and the two of them have developed along separate courses.

Over the years, Pilar had learnt to bury her feelings and to plan ahead. But when she found her friend again, she found that he was still in love with her. Falling in love with him wasn't safe, but when the time came to choose, she chose to fall. She pushed aside "the Other"--the one who says "we must plan for tomorrow"--and she fell.

And the other thing was this: the man had a Big Dream. And he had to choose between Pilar and his Big Dream. And Pilar knew that she couldn't just wait for him to choose. She had to do something.

I'm waiting for that kind of love, the kind of love that will make me want to do something, to fight, whatever. I'm waiting for someone to say something like that to me:

"But I'm going to fight for your love," he continued.
"There are some things in life that are worth fighting for to the end."I was speechless.
"You are worth it," he said.

And I've also learnt that "it's better to lose some of the battles in the struggle for your dreams than to be defeated without ever even knowing what you're fighting for".
And in the end, I'm reminded that even when it feels like someone else has changed too much and we might have developed along separate courses, all rivers merge with the sea.

There, wait for your Halley's Comet. It comes round every 75-76 years. Once in a lifetime.
I'll make sure I know when I see it. And then, I'm going to hold on to it.

We'll learn that "men and women aren't enemies. Men and women are soulmates .And if they were just honest, right from the word go, then they'd all realize it. All this being mysterious and aloof is complete rubbish. Everyone should share their secrets straight away!" (Sophie Kinsella, Can You Keep A Secret?)
-that is just pure nonsense. it's the mystery that draws people together no?

aargh. complex subject.

HEARTS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment